The original requirement behind all this home automation stuff was to automate the perimeter lighting for our house. Having the lights come on at dusk and turn off again when the sun comes up without having to adjust the timer several times a year.
The front porch pendant light was controlled by a Wemo switch, but I didn’t particularly like the light which seemed to illuminate our foyer more effectively than it did the rest of the porch.
I decided to remove the light and replace it with three “pot” lights spaced across the front porch – both for a more modern look and for more even and generally softer lighting.
Of course I had to site the first pot light where the old fixture was, tie into the existing wiring and then run a new line across the ceiling of the porch.
A few cuts, some quick fishing of wire and we’re off to the races.
The end result is controlled by a dimmer which allows us to vary the lighting a bit from “begin the performance” stage lighting to “vaguely ambient”.
Not a bad little project. About $150 all in ($14/ea pot light fixture, $10/ea LED bulb, $50 Zwave dimmer). Like the effect a lot more though, so mission accomplished.