it…..Is…..ALIVE!

So the rebuilt carbs are on, I take some of the “genuine Honda fuel line” (at approximately $6 per inch) and hook everything up.

Can I resist the temptation to start the bike?

Of course not.

And boy did she fire right up (a little noisy with the exhaust off, but music to my ears none the less). Of course I have to do a “proper” oil change now (not where I just flush the old crap out and put new stuff in), and there is no shortage of other little details to be taken care of, but now at least she is a real motorcycle.

1. red says:

Congrats!

Make sure you replace the o-ring on the sludge trap cover before you put it back on.

2. Merle says:

Congrats!!!
    Now the real fun (of riding) can begin.

Merle

That’s pretty kewl! Betcha it sounds a lot sweeter with an exhaust system ;-)

4. Pieter says:

Thats awesome. Sounds great.
    You’ve got to be so proud.

5. Carbonman says:

Way to go, Erik! It’s a nice looking bike – very different from current styles from various manufacturers. You must have learned a lot in the past few months. Thanks for sharing your experience with the rebuild. I’ve learned enough through your posts to know I really don’t want to undertake something like this!
    Despite the mild weather in my part of the world, I wouldn’t drive a bike here on a bet. I’d get nuked by some kid in a Lambo/Audi/Ferrari/Porsche that has no concept of the rules of the road and only understands the gas pedal goes all the way to the floor. It blows my mind at all the R8′s, Caymans and Aston Martins with green ‘N’ (new driver) stickers on their trunks.
    How about a comparison feature between this bike and your current generation ride?

6. Merle says:

Carbonman – just where in the world are you? Sounds like someplace I want to avoid…..

Merle

Carbonman … You write, ‘very different from current styles‘ … Yes, indeed, but the ‘classic’ UJM (Universal Japanese Motorcycle) style appears to be on its way back in …

8. Carbonman says:

Merle, I’m in deepest, darkest Vancouver. Kerrisdale is full of expensive, overpowered cars and inexperienced drivers, as are many other neighborhoods in this region. The Sea to Sky Highway is where the cops frequently seize $500K to a millon $ of cars at a time for racing to and from Whistler.
    Madeye, I wasn’t aware of what’s been going on with the new bikes from the various manufacturers. There’s something to be said for tried and true, and the review’s comments on practicality and easy ride characteristics must strike a chord with well-heeled buyers. Showing my age, I guess.

9. Merle says:

Thanks for the reply – I was thrown by the “N” stickers. I had never heard of that. From the expensive cars I thought maybe you were in an Arab oil country.

Merle

10. NotClauswitz says:

I think it sounds GRAND!! I just had to fire-up my old Yamaha FZ600 once after some work, before I put the exhaust cans back on – and it RIPPED! OMG that was a hoot, I shut it off real quick though, it sounded like machinegun fire. Have a good ride!

11. Valuable info. Lucky me I discovered your website by chance, and I am stunned why this accident didn’t took place earlier! I bookmarked it.

12. Hello, aall t?e time i used to chjeck weblog posts here ??n the earl? hours in the
    dawn, since i love to lewarn more and more.