And it ain’t even Christmas.
So, projected capital expense number two reared its ugly head and our roof sprung a leak a few weeks back. It wasn’t a huge shock, our home inspection (again coming in about bang on) had warned us that the roof was good for approximately 1-6 years (1 realistically, 6 optimistically).
It appears that the previous owner drywalled over a known leak in the master bedroom closet, and the water eventually bled through. I opened up that part of the ceiling and discovered the leak, and we decided that rather than patching the problem we’d just move the replacement of the roof up a year (we had tentatively planned on a metal roof next year).
We signed the agreement on Friday, and got a call yesterday that the crew would be available starting today, so we ended up with a four day turnaround on the work (considering three days were a holiday weekend thats not too shabby)
We’ll see how the work progresses, keep yer fingers crossed that the weather is cooperative.
Edit (@1500hrs): Ok, it got worse. Costs almost doubled due to rot and issues related to previous owners cheaping out on leaks. On the plus side we’ll have a solid roof when they’re done, on the down side this expense has cleaned out the contingency fund (at this point we’re financing about 10% of the work).
Pictures as they are available.
Edit: (15Oct10 @1500hrs): More bad news. More rot and bad wood discovered below the dormer on either side, not entirely unexpected, but certainly unwelcomed.
We’ve become wary of the foreman knocking on our door.
Edit: (17Oct10 @1045hrs): Work complete, bin is full of junk, roof is finished and the cleanup has been done by the small crew (two guys) that showed up this morning to finish the detail work.
It’s official, it’s a roof.