Jilly helping with the cleaning…

There’s a catch-22 when it comes to cleaning firearms around my house. If I clean the firearms after the house has gone to sleep I typically get complaints that the “clicking and banging” noises travel right upstairs and disturbs those sleeping. If I clean the firearms during the day my daughter wants to get involved in the process, and quite frankly I’m a little leery about gun-schmutz and CLP being handled by a 2 1/2 year old.

Jilly and the AR15

My reservations notwithstanding Jilly wants to be involved, so (like most parents) I’ve come up with diversionary activities that offer little or no harm. While I’m cleaning the dirty rifles I break down the AR15 and leave it on the couch, provided Jilly with a plastic pick or some such so that she can mimic what Daddy is doing on the floor nearby. We have a little group hand-washing session as soon as she begins to lose interest (typically 10 minutes into the activity) and then Daddy resumes cleaning while Jilly takes on another activity.

Jilly and the AR15

Of course this doesn’t mean I can stop paying attention to her while she’s cleaning, as she has a tendancy to root through the cleaning kit, grabbing the sharpest piece of metal inside (typically the small screwdriver) and begin hammering away on the AR15 receiver. There’s nothing really harmful in the cleaning kit (as the CLP is with me) but still, I’d prefer not to have my AR marred any more than it already is.

Jilly and the AR15

We’re starting on safe handling, but I doubt it’s taking. Jilly can recite “No touch trigger”, but it’s going to be years before we can really start on this kinda thing.

1. Heh heh heh. MY daughter helps with gun cleaning too, but I don’t have any pictures.

You know you just caused a few strokes among any gun control ‘tards that may run across your pics in cyberspace, right?

Jilly sure is a cute kid!

2. pdb says:

That’s the cutest thing I’ve seen all dang year.

Hey! A 20″ AR with an A1 upper and a telestock! You’re a smart man. :)

3. Pieter says:

Personally, I think you should have kept the cooey.
    It could have been her little plinker (for future use of course).
    At least she’s showing an interest in what Daddy likes.
    Even though it’s not real P.C. those pictures would make great Christmas cards.

AD: I’m not sure “Helps” applies just yet, but I’m glad she’s not afraid of the clicking and banging at this early stage.

Strokes? Ah yes, but it’s a proud tradition at this point.

-GRIN-

PDB: She is a cutie, not that I am biased at all.

Ayup, I built that AR from parts, in precisely the configuration I wanted. I didn’t want a “space gun”, just something I could shoot at the range. Ironically I built the rifle during Lisas pregnancy with Jilly, so it seems only appropriate that she clean that rifle.

Piet: I know, I know. I regret giving the Cooey away, I do. My only hope is that the friend I sent it to in Vancouver got some use out of it (I really haven’t heard from him since then).

I was out looking at Ruger 10/22s yesterday at Lovetts (Did you know about Lovetts here in K-W? Hell I didn’t even know there was another gunstore besides “shooters choice”!), might just have to drop a couple dollars and acquire one shortly.

It’s no Cooey, but the same idea.

Mmmmm, Christmas cards eh? Good thinking.

5. Fodder says:

That’s really great of you to take the time to involve your daughter. Before you know it she’ll be able to break down that AR. Much, much later she’ll be able to re-assemble it (speaking from experience here).

6. phlegmfatale says:

This rates high in the sweeps for cutest thing ever. Lovely girl, and it’s sweet of you to let her help.

7. fyremandoug says:

Raise them right and they will understand that life is precious and any meth freak breaking into her house has just voided his warranty and gets the full mag of SS-109. My son was about a year older the first time I slung the A-1 H-bar over his shoulder and taught him how to squeeze a trigger. Your a good parent!

Holy Smokes that post got a lot of traffic!

Thanks for the kind words folks.

As for Jilly, when she was really young I was sitting on the couch cleaning my Norc M14, I let the bolt fly home (out of habit) and immediately cringed at the noise (as Jilly was sitting playing nearby quietly). She stopped what she was doing, looked at me, looked at the rifle and began clapping and laughing. I knew then, without a doubt that she was my girl.

I’ll have to wait a few years (at least) before I can drag her to the range, but I’ll do my best to give her a grounding in firearms handling, and further try not to make the activity one that she’ll give up in teenage rebellion in later years.

I guess we’ll just have to wait and see.

9. Fred says:

Danged if that isn’t the cutest thing I ever did see! (Except for my own kids!)

I have a boy and a girl. Both started shooting as soon as they could hold the gun upright, about 6. I have a photo of my son emptying the clip on a Garand when he was ten. Both kids have gone through “teenage rebellion” and neither one ever lost interest.

10. Brenda says:

My only thought is some of those pieces look like they would hurt should she decide that she would drop one on your foot ;-)

Hehe and put the cleaning kit up higher.

11. Cybrludite says:

Yup. Pretty much the right rifle for a 2.5 year old girl… ;-)